Friday, January 23, 2009

It's the little things!

I'm sure those of you reading this (after another long period of silence from me) were expecting a snapshot of our wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas in review ... I'll try to get to that at some point because we did have a great time celebrating with our families!

But, instead, I thought I'd start by sharing things I get to enjoy everyday. A friend mentioned in a blog last year that she had been down and that her 3 yr old son seemed to have just the right things to say and do to cheer her up and give her a good laugh. I'm finding myself in the same boat right now. Whether it's just this time of year or the fact that I dwell on things that might be 'bugging' me as I'm standing over dishes and laundry, I also can say 3 yr old boys (and 2 yr old girls and nearly 1 yr old boys!) do indeed have just the right remedy for the blues! :) Just wanted to share some of the things I've seen this week that have made me laugh out loud!


One particularly uneventful evening we decided to make sock puppets. The kids thought these were great fun and then I got the idea (as I looked at my enormous basket of unmatched socks ... some of you have seen it and if disposable socks were ever invented I'd be first in line to buy them!) to put pantyhose on our heads. The kids were a little unsure looking at Ron at first but once they realized it was silly and not scary they joined in and wanted pantyhose heads, too. We HOWLED in laughter chasing each other around the house looking slightly disfigured!



Ben was on a kick this week to dig out swimsuits and swimming gear. Despite the freezing temperatures outside, he convinced Lauryn to wear her swimsuit and swimmies and carry around her beach towel. He even attempted to put Nate's suit on him when I wasn't in the room. He managed to get one of Nate's legs in the suit, which I thought was an accomplishment but was afraid to think of how he managed to do it! They pretended they were swimming at our neighbors pool most of the day.

Nate got in on the act, too, lounging by the pool.

(AKA a pile of dirty laundry)




And, finally, today when I woke up I noticed one very large, very black crow hovering around the trees at the very end of our yard. I'm not a big fan of birds of any kind but have softened a bit as we have several varieties visit our yard during the Spring and Summer. It's fun to share facts about them to the kids and they love looking for different birds in the trees. After breakfast I was looking out the window again and this time noticed about 30 very large, very black crows invading our yard down by the apple trees. They were very creepy to me but I didn't want to turn the kids off to nature (see cicaida posts from the summer :) ! ) so we looked up info on the computer and talked about them. We talked about what they eat, that they grow very large and that they are ALL black. We even opened a window so we could hear them caw! Have you ever heard 30 very large, very black crows caw all together? It was very interesting and a little eerily similar to a scene from Alfred Hitchcocks, Birds! Ben was fascinated! Later in the day he was looking out the window and noticed 3 large dark mounds of something by his swingset. He questioned me as to what they were ... I told him I didn't know but we could ask Daddy when he got home. He stood looking out the window for a long time ... thinking ... he came into the kitchen and declared to me, "I think it's crow poop." I laughed and laughed at his thoughtful answer. Why what else would deposit large, black mounds in the yard but large, black birds?

No comments: