Monday, July 21, 2008

Sweety Potato Pies


It's hard for me to believe but it's already time for Nate to take the plunge and expand his horizons in the food department! We've conquered Rice and Oatmeal cereal quite well and added sweet potatoes today. I'm guessing this isn't the 1st food I'm supposed to start with as it is a bit tastier than peas and squash (see McNichols Musings for the correct way to introduce baby food to your infant!)





In typical Nate fashion, he took it all in laid back stride. He sat patiently in his high chair while I prepared the concoction of oatmeal and sweet potatoes! He ate each spoonful I brought to his mouth and only gagged a little on the new taste. He even managed to make very little mess - I remember Ben and Lauryn seemed to have their hands in their mouths the entire time during the feeding process ... maybe that's still to come. He ate all the food with a big smile most of the time. Didn't fuss during the process, didn't fuss when he was done. Just kept looking at me with a big grin!




In typical Ben fashion, he looked up at me with a crinkled nose and asked, "What's that smell?" He has an amazing nose (which makes me self conscious before I've brushed my teeth or showered) and detected the bland luke-warm sweet potato smell from about 3 feet away! He moved away quickly as a pushed the bowl a little closer to him.





In typical Lauryn fashion, she spied food and decided that what someone else was eating looked pretty good and asked for her own bowl. I had read once upon a time that if an older sibling were to ask a nursing mom if they could try what the baby was eating to give them a bit and they would immediately decide it was not for them. (I DID NOT heed this ridiculous advice!)





However, I did think that it might also apply to baby food. So, I offered Lauryn a small bowl of her own, thinking she'd take one taste and refuse to eat anymore.









She devoured it!! I couldn't believe it as I watched her shovel in a mixture of sweet potato/oatmeal mash. I can't believe I've been jumping hoops to think of creative lunches and dinners when the solution was this easy!

3 comments:

Jill said...

HA HA! What a great post!

I'm glad you are blogging now. Thanks again for Sunday and your hospitality. We had a great time!

Marilyn said...

So cute! From the big smiles on their faces, it must have been good! :) :) Nate is growing so fast!

Anonymous said...

Now I know what to buy for Lauryn when she comes over. Amazing! =)