I cannot tolerate bugs ... I don't get creeped out by spiders, I don't get creeped out by mice or even snakes ... but if it has 3 body parts, 6 legs and crunches and it's visible to me, I can feel my heart race and my body go numb. I like to blame it on a suppressed memory from infancy while living in apartments in Texas where roaches made their way into our home (no matter how hard my mom cleaned ... I have to put that in there for her sake!) but in reality I'm probably just weird and thinking about it too much. I don't like the fact that they fly, jump and crunch. Anyway a good friend shared her cicada woes with me last summer and at the time I did not fully grasp what she was telling me ... but we are OVERRUN with cicadas out here! Just when I think it's safe to look up at a tree or put my hand on the swingset I see their carcasses EVERYWHERE! I am trying hard not to freak out in front of the kids, as for most people this is just another part of God's creation. However, it has been very hard for me to relax in the yard for the past couple weeks! The kids love them, thanks to Ron's informative science lesson and explanation of their life cycle and the fact that he plucks them of trees daily for them to examine! Ben likes to collect their skins in empty plastic bottles, Lauryn likes to stomp on them. I like to imagine that they will be gone soon!! 

1 comment:
Yes, yes - just another part of God's creation. However, sort of like hot lava or a monsoon, I'd prefer to read about it rather than experience it. So, please let me know when they are gone!
Post a Comment